Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday Delights and a Music Recommendation

Aloha! Nothing too crazy to rave about, but just the usual life-in-paradise sorta stuff. So far this week I've seen two geckos, one slug/snail (well, it was the size of a banana slug, but had a 1.5 inch wide shell on its back) and a frog, which happened to be in the house so I had to catch it and put it outside. I LOVE frogs, but I can't deny, I squealed a bit when I finally got a hold of him. I haven't touched one since I was a kid and I forgot how creepy it feels when they try to jump inside your hands.

My friend emailed me the material I'm planning to copy edit during my stay, so I've been busy doing that for the past two days.

Since I mastered the bus system, I've been going toward Wailea almost every day to the beaches down there. It's taken some time, but I'm finally getting used to swimming in the ocean and I think I'll rent some goggles soon and make a real occasion out of it.

I've looked up a few hiking opportunities, and unfortunately, most require a jeep or truck to get to the trail head. There is one, however, that I think I can get to via bike, so I'm going to ask Laura to borrow her son's bike some day soon.

Speaking of transportation, I can't believe how mellow the driver's are. Some of you may be familiar with my slightly angry driving side... But getting around over here is a whole different experience. People aren't in a rush to get anywhere, and they'll gladly give someone else the right of way. The only time people honk is to get a friend's attention; then they'll return a 'hang loose' sign, smile and be on their way.

In closing, I want to tell about an amazing singer I've been listening to a lot lately. I got her CD from a friend at the Rocket Bakery who shared my passion for Ani Difranco's sound. This new artist's name is Kathleen Edwards and the album I have is called Failer. The first three songs are okay, but once you hit the forth song, all greatness breaks loose. She has a bit of Joan Armatrading sound, mixed with Ani Difranco and a certain amount of her own style that I really like. I think Jill and Gracie especially will like it.

Oh, and one last interesting tidbit I've learned about Hawaii.

1 comment:

John said...

Did the Geckos say anything to you about insurance maybe?