Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Maui!

Hello everyone! I’m safe and sound in Maui. I didn’t sleep too well my first night here, but that’s to be expected in a new place. My host, Laura, is wonderful. She’s 45+something and reminds me of Gracie and Susie Shaddox if they were one person. She works as a massage therapist for one of the hotels here. I haven’t seen much of Maui yet because it was dark by the time we drove to her house, but I’ll be getting my first glimpse this morning.

The trip over here seemed extra long, but I met some nice people on my flight from Seattle to Maui. John is a physician (who did his residency at Deaconess and Sacred Heart, so he knew Spokane well) who currently lives in White Fish, Montana. My boyfriend goes to White Fish sometimes for the BNSF railroad so we had a good time chatting about that. Kathy was from New Jersey (yes, I asked her about Bruce; turns out Bruce is like “having a Jacuzzi in your backyard- after a while you don’t use it anymore cuz you know its just right there.”) and flying to Maui on the year anniversary of her son’s death, who died in a waterfall/jumping accident. Nine of his friends were also on the plane. Lucky for me, I checked in extremely early for the flight, so I got my choice of a seat on the plane. I LOVE EXIT SEATS!

I stayed at the airport for several hours until Laura was out of her Hula dancing class. There really wasn’t much going on at the airport besides little aphid bugs that started to crawl all over me and my luggage. It was an open-air airport, though, which was an amazing twist. The weather outside was perfect, and it’s amazing to think it is perfect like that year-round.

I saw the biggest spider of my life last night and it was in the house I’m staying at. I trust Laura, however, when she says not to worry about them; they don’t move, bite, jump or get any kind of rowdy. Completely without threat. Just… the size of a small tarantula. Oh well, it’s always good to make new friends. Maybe it’s just an overgrown kissing spider.

Today I am a unicorn and apple juice.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Glad to hear the spiders aren't rowdy.

Tell us more about the house where you are staying. Do you have a room to yourself? Does it seem to be in a nice-ish neighborhood?

It's in the mid to high eighties here today, so I'm not too jealous of you, but next week it should be back down to normal fall temps; I'm sure I will start to go green with envy then :).

Check out the kayaking scene for us, okay? Any whitewater rivers near where you are?

Today I am a Tab Energy Drink ('cause I want one) and llama.

Love you!