Monday, October 20, 2008

The King's Highway

I started bright and early today with a wonderful little hike. Using Laura's car to get there, it was my first time driving in Hawaii. It was also my first time driving PERIOD in several weeks so I didn't feel very comfortable with it at first. By starting so early, however, I missed the morning rush. The drive from Kihei to La Perouse Bay takes you through a few community areas, past the fancy houses, alongside the beaches (that usually only the locals know about) and through a huge lava field. There are signs warning drivers "No parking for 2 miles," since the road is only about 1.5 cars wide. A 10 mph speed limit is enforced around the blind corners. Every once in a while you'll find a wider spot used for squeezing past the unusual oncoming vehicle. The road is ROUGH, too. I like it. It's like an adventure on your way to an adventure.

Once I got to the bay, I was... well, confused. There were NO signs indicating ANYthing. Well, there was a sign signifying that indeed I had found La Perouse Bay, and that some French guy had found the place via boat at such and such time. So I just started to walk around... And without much effort, I found a trail the led off along the beach, in keeping with the directions I had brought. So I just went with it. Several people were near the beginning of the trail, but I was all by myself after a while.

I suppose Hawaiians not into signs much, because it was only after I had hiked 2 miles, took a right at a fork, realized I had walked a mile in to a lighthouse, walked back out, took the left at the fork and walked a ways that I found a worn sign reassuring me that I was on Hoapili Trail (look at above website and scroll down). Nevertheless, I loved the views. It was so strange to see the course, jagged rock juxtaposed next to the curves of the ocean waves.

I must admit, I didn't make it all the way. After my unnecessary side-spur and a blister on my left Achilles tended, I didn't find walking on movable ground very enjoyable. It might have been one thing if the footing was secure, but the volcanic rocks below my shoes were constantly moving under my feet as I walked. Still, I think I made at least a 7 mile hike out of it. I was cooled by a gentle misty rain for a short while. My first actual precipitation here. Well, it rained during the Hula cookie-fundraiser, but I was inside at the time.

The sun has finally shown its face today after a few cloudy days and the whole area is alive with activity. I went to the beach for a bit and am now doing some copy editing and waiting for my laundry to get done. Life is good.

Oh, by the way, I went to Hope Chapel yesterday for church and I know mom would have LOVED the drums during the worship. They were very prominent. I liked it a lot. I think next week I'll go to the 8:30 service, though. As much as I loved getting called at while I'm walking... I think fewer people will be awake if I go to the first service. Apparently not many people walk around here. Either you bike or you have enough money to buy a car. Apparently.

Today I am a cute, furry, sleepy cat and an ice cream Sunday (not I drink, I realize).




1 comment:

KOC said...

Looks foggy-ish! beautiful.