Saturday, October 4, 2008

Aloha

I can officially get around the island independently now! Today I rustled up enough courage to figure out the bus system and it went perfectly well. For $1 per bus ride, I can get to almost anywhere on the island. I took it slow today and just went down to Wailea, but that was adventure enough for me. I spent a few hours on a long, wide beach and had a great time people watching. Its slightly different than crab watching because the people are farther away and they don't hold still every time they think you've spotted them, but it's still relatively close. I may have gotten a little red in places, but I'll be busy seeing new things with Bunny tomorrow, so I won't be in the sun again for a while. I took the long bus route back to see just how far west the buses went and I got a good idea of what areas and shops I'd like to look at next time I'm down there. The really handy news is that there is a bus stop just a few blocks away, so I don't have to walk too far.

I seem to have settled into a nice routine now. I go to bed fairly early because the sun goes down at 7 p.m. and I'd rather not be out by myself at night. That means I'm an early riser in the morning, which most of you know I don't mind a bit. It's nice to be out in the peace and quiet, especially before the heat gets to you. I've been going for a walk every morning, discovering a new little part of Kihei. Today I finally found Safeway and had coffee at Starbucks. The shopping center was fairly large, actually. After getting back to the house I usually check my email, do some exercises, put my suit on, and head to the beach for a few hours. I'm typically back by lunchtime, at which point I come up with an afternoon plan. My afternoons have been pretty random so far, but that's good. A little routine for the morning, a little spontaneity for the afternoon. :)

Tomorrow Bunny is going to show me a few tourist spots all afternoon, and we'll make it to the county fair by 7 p.m. to watch Laura and her hula class perform. I'm pretty excited. I guess hula dancing is a bigger deal than I thought. I asked Laura how long it takes, like how many years of classes, for someone to become really good at hula, and she laughed and said "a lifetime, starting when you're a little girl." She said she'd never be as good as some people simply because she didn't start soon enough (although she's been taking classes for a couple years already). And here I thought it was just a little move of the hips... I can't wait to see a live performance!

I saw a few shops today which reminded me about gifts. If anyone has any requests, please let me know.

Today I am an orange julius and mermaid. With silver and blue hair. And iridescent blue scales. And blue nail polish with diamonds on them.

2 comments:

John said...

Hey Cait!!!!!!

As i right to you, it is 7:59 pm your time, but it's 9:59 here. Crazy i know. But I thought it would be kinda strange if people reacted the same as crabs when you look at them at the same distance. Seahawks lost............. :(.

Today I am a melancholy salamander, but he is happy for his friend the mermaid with blue scales.

KOC said...

Today I am a happy Moby Dick, and a shot of whiskey because methinks that what Moby Dick would drink.