Friday, September 12, 2008

Scattered

This week has been one of those ornery times in life when I can’t focus on anything. But that’s often what happens when we stockpile big projects for ‘when we have more time.’ Then, if that long awaited time period does happen to show its shining face, the mounting number of projects is so intimidating that it’s hard to start even one.

With all this time off work, I relished the idea of finally being able to get some major projects out of the way. The first few days were incredibly productive, but as the week wore on, the list against me seemed unending and impossible. I couldn’t even find the focus to enter a blog post yesterday; I couldn’t decide what it should be about. So! Today is a tribute to scattered thinking. Here is a list of cool/interesting/funny things that are worth looking into.

Pool Leagues – I’m on an 8-ball team. I’m their handicap. But somehow, they’ve explained, they need me in case another team has a low ranking player. It keeps the teams even, some way or another. But it’s about the best people-watching you’ll ever come across. Throwing myself into a new situations like that was far more rewarding than I first anticipated.

Rihanna’s ‘Disturbia’ music video – My brother-in-law has instilled in me a healthy respect for zombie movies of the B-film variety. While I hate to be another promoter of mainstream pop culture, I can’t deny that I can’t get enough of Rihanna’s video, which seems to be pay homage the film genre. It was done very artistically and theatrically. And for being a sex-icon, she does a pretty good job of throwing that out the window in search of something a little more interesting and creepy.

Moving into new places – I visited my friend in her new apartment yesterday and watching her new place unfold completely inspired me. With its white walls and open spaces, I could still see it as the blank canvas she moved into, but could already start to see the pulse, themes and artistry she was slowly working into it. It made me want to revamp my own living space badly. Moving into a new place is one of the most liberating and thrilling things ever. Well, aside from all the stress that comes with it.

Here’s to letting go of the little things – For some reason, I cling to list-making. And when I make a list for the day ahead, and ultimately don’t follow through with a few items, it drives me up the wall. This week I’m learning how to enjoy my time, even if I haven’t crossed a few things off. I was having a rather disappointing week until I let myself have a little fun with my free time, and left my list-completing to chance.

No comments: