Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Adventures

I lost my pool game last night, but it was a very close game. In fact, over the course of the game, I had two dead balls (the que ball goes into a pocket after hitting a number ball in, meaning there is no score from the number ball) and my opponent won more game (which means she hit more nine balls in, and nine balls count for two points instead of the regular one) so in essence, I actually made more shots than she did. I managed to surprise myself with some shots (you know, those shots you’ve seen other people hit but you’re not quite sure how the heck it works, then you line it up and get a shot off and find you somehow made it (but can you remember how you did it for the next time?  ), so I’m hoping I find some great pool halls in Hawaii to keep my skills up.

Yesterday I managed to persuaded Scott to follow me around Gonzaga’s campus in search of the art building. I pass a reader board almost every other day advertising which artist’s work is showing for the month and I’ve always wanted to check it out. Too bad for Scott, however, we didn’t have a map and didn’t come across a map in all our wonderings. Needless to say, he doesn’t enjoy an aimless walk as much as I do. BUT! We managed to find some fantastic gems! The first was the section of the Centennial Trail that crosses the river between Gonzaga’s campus and the distance learning center for Eastern and WSU. The river was calm, the air was perfect and Gonzaga’s landscaping crew deserves major applause because it was a view from a tour guidebook.





It was from that vantage point that I could see a very strange steeple rising from one of the campus buildings. I just knew if I looked long enough I’d find a building that screamed artistic, free-thinking people congregate here! The steeple is a beautiful copper color, made to look like brilliant, simmering scales. And sure enough, after some more walking, we found it was the art building! Walking through college campus art buildings is the easiest way for me to find inspiration- there’s so much discovery, thought and reflection coursing through its halls!

Lastly, since I knew I wouldn’t have another chance any time soon, I wanted to see if Gonzaga’s cathedral was open. I’ve seen the two steeples rise above its surrounding buildings for over a year now and it was time I checked it out. I wasn’t even sure it would be open, or if there would be people inside ushering me right back out, but still, having been in a few cathedrals before, I knew the ornate art inside was more than enough reason to try.

And sure enough. Complete silence, despite the roar of students, studies and cars rushing past its outside walls. Huge ceilings, fantastic architecture, detailed fixtures. Everything about the place urged one to halt his/her busy thoughts and footsteps, and simply stand in peace and reverence. I don’t care what Scott says, a three mile walk around campus was definitely worth all the things I saw!

Today I am a marmot and a non-fat caramel mock-e-oto. (sp?)

3 comments:

KOC said...

Agh! I want to look at art with you! That sounds awesome.
I'm a Red-Tailed Hawk and a Whiskey Sour.

KOC said...

It's Macchiato I think ;)

Jillian said...

When you crossed the bridge over the river, you were on the campus where I work. It is beautiful down here, that's for sure.

It's funny you said you'd be a marmot. I heard a story on my first day of work here that our groundspeople trap the marmots on our campus, drive them across the river, and release them on Gonzaga's campus. I suspect Gonzaga does the same thing, so it's just a never-ending circle of marmots :).