Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Movie, music and O.C.D.

I currently have six documents open, all are organized to hold different notes from interviews, emails and internet research for my upcoming article. Six. It really makes me laugh at myself. And in four more hours I’ll be creating another one, adding to the OCD. I am an organizational freak, but it is the only method I can manage for writing articles. I gather up all my notes from different people (in separate word documents) and then use one final document to combine all my quotes and facts. Effective in the end, but hilarious and embarrassing through the middle.

I dedicate today’s entry to the song “Secret Crowds” by Angels and Airwaves. I think I’ve listened to it five times in the last 20 hours after I downloaded it last evening, which is saying quite a lot because I was asleep for a portion of that time. Angels and Airwaves is an excellent band. They’re not on my top 10 list, but they’re worth a try. The lead singer’s voice is what initially drew me in, and the heavy electric guitar and drums soon hooked me. While they aren’t for everyone, every few songs you’ll find an amazing gem and they’re worth some attention.

Interesting fact: The main singer of Angels and Airwaves used to play in Blink 182, but don’t let that effect on your preconceptions of the band; the two produce entirely different sounds.

I watched Burn After Reading the other day. As the credits rolled upon the end of the story… I became painful aware that I should have had some idea of what the Coen brother’s work was like prior to watching this one. I have yet to watch Fargo and No Country For Old Men, so I wasn’t necessarily prepared for the Coen brother’s style… Had I been aware of their particular style, I probably would have given this movie my vote, but under the circumstances, their abrupt plot choices and peculiar ending left me shocked. While I do recognize their unique and credible attempt to produce a movie above and beyond the average blockbuster, I just can’t quite get behind it just for the sake of originality.


Today I am a mimosa and a penguin.

1 comment:

KOC said...

I do the same thing with Documents and then I spend way too long sifting through them all to find the particular nugget of info I'm looking for.
Today I am a fox and a Spanish Coffee.