Sunday, November 2, 2008

Life in the Pacific Northwest

Greetings from Spokane! This cold and frozen-over city. Today was the first time I was warm since I returned. It took nearly two days to adjust to the climate. My sinuses are still giving me a little grief about it, but I assume they, too, will get over it. I tell you, though, it was quite a surprise to realize (in the heart of Seattle’s airport during a layover) that my legs were suddenly ashy white with dry skin and my lips were horribly chapped. The weather in Hawaii just seems to smooth over these little matters of up-keep.

I highly advise returning to a city in the morning. I had all day long to unpack, do laundry, sort through and organize gift items, run a few errands and go to the store. It made for a wonderful and fulfilling sleep that night, as well.

Scott and I went out for dinner my first night back and went to a corn maze – the first for both of us. It was very fun, but like I said, I hadn’t quite warmed up at that point so we only stayed long enough for two mazes.

The following day I felt a sudden need to sort through and eliminate unneeded belongings. It’s strange how a month of living out of a backpack puts material wealth into perspective. I realized I did not need many of the items still packed away in my pile of boxed belongings in Scott’s basement. It was therefore a day of cleaning out, throwing away (recycling of course), and redistributing items into the pile, a few boxes lighter. Feels rather productive, to be honest.

Halloween at my sister’s house was fantastic, of course. The majority of those in attendance wore costumes and we found ample entertainment by creating the ultimate playlist.

Scott had to head back to work today so I mulled around, cleaning and organizing here and there, both on the computer and in the house. Since my oldest sister is still in town I spent most of the afternoon visiting at my middle sister’s house and finally returned after dinner. I need to turn my efforts toward finding a new job now, so wish me luck with that one. Trying to shift directions from service-related positions to a more professional career seems rather daunting and not without rough beginnings.

Aloha!

1 comment:

KOC said...

good luck in the Job search! It might take some time but I know you've got the talent to be successful in the end. It'll happen.