Monday, November 24, 2008

JFK and the AMAs

Does everyone love Owl City yet? Jillian showed me how to make a 'mixed tape' over the weekend and I'm loving it. I'll probably change it every week or so, that way you guys never get bored.

My weekend was good. I got some fresh air with Jill, Gord, Amanda and Sean on Saturday by spending a few hours in the Bowl and Pitcher area. I also went shopping for the interview I'm having today. I've got a very snazzy outfit all lined up, but I'm not the biggest fan of shopping, so it was a kind of like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Scott didn't really improve like we thought he would. He showed a lot of improvement on Friday so we thought he was through the worst of it, but he wasn't. The pain still comes and goes just as bad as it had last week. He'll run out of pain meds soon, though, so hopefully he improves soon!

I've started reading Angle of Repose to keep me from watching tv 24/7 while I'm taking care of him, but I must admit I watch my fair share of it. Since this weekend marked the anniversary of JFK's assassination several tv stations showed JFK-related films. On Saturday night I watched Oliver Stone's "JFK" and became enraged that such a cover-up could happen at such a high political level. I also started to feel mad at the older generations who hadn't relaid to my generation the severity and depth of such an outrageous event. Without anyone to tell us these things, most of us won't know the details! Of course I knew it had happened and that there was a 'grassy knoll' theory, but my U.S. History classes never covered the details.

Then, the following night, I watched portions of a documentary on the JKF assassination and felt like an idiot for believing ALL the 'facts' Oliver Stone had included in his storyline. Some of the more paramount points in the movie's case were made up... However, many of the loopholes still held strong. Although I'm not as up-in-arms about it as I was on Saturday night, I'm still taken aback that such an event can occur and some questions, 40 years later, have yet to be answered.

I also watched the American Music Awards. Well, not ALL of them, because we all know the speeches are boring. I did, however, listen to Kanye's speech, just to see what crazy thing he'd say this time, and, of course, after winning best album of the year of some such business, he gave it away to Lil Wayne. WHAT? Goodness. All is madness. I did, nevertheless, get my fill of performances. From Coldplay to Pink, from Rihanna to Sarah Mclaughlin, from Ne-yo to The Pussycat Dolls, it was good stuff! I especially liked Pink's song. I love all the costumes/dresses, the stage designs and ritzy special effects.

Well, it's about time for Scott's meds. Today I am a cat and Arizona Tea.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Your JFK feelings mirror my own upon reading The Feminine Mystique for the first time. I was so angry at my teachers and others of the older generation for not teaching me about it. You have to teach yourself, I guess. Can't just trust that the truth is going to come to you by osmosis.

Anyway, you'll have to tell me about the JFK stuff on the drive home today:).