Saturday, October 3, 2009

Draw The Line

I had such great hopes for my first blog about music. I thought it would be so easy! Pick a CD I am passionate about and describe it. Well... Ironically, I received four new CDs in one week, making the challenge of choosing an album much more difficult. I will have to save three for later posts. In the end, I have chosen to blog about the last CD I came across. It is called "Draw The Line," by David Gray.

I've been on the David Gray bandwagon for a while. It's good stuff. Mellow, soothing, beautiful. I was certainly excited to hear something new, having played the old stuff one too many times. But my goodness. I could never have expected the phenomenal power of this album. EVERY SINGLE SONG. A few are tender, slow and sweet, like much of his previous work. But some are bold. Some are wonderfully strong and urgent. Others embody so much positive energy your spirit lightens immediately. The lyrics are like yak butter. And the instruments are so perfect. It is refreshing to hear piano in the forefront, and remember how the violin can add so much to a song.

I checked out his website to see if it was anything worth mentioning. I came across the music video for "Fugitive." Kara, please watch this one and tell me what you think. It is creative and artistic. But on top of that, you can see he is passionate about his lyrics. He has such a presence while playing/singing. As if it is not an act, like so many other artists tend to put on; it is as if he is singing for himself. That the words are so true he simply must gush them out.

In a nutshell, it's great. I think you will agree.


As a side note, I missed pool this week because a friend was in from out of town. I will be sure to give you a 'play by play' after next week's match.

I am a hippo today.

3 comments:

KOC said...

"It's like yak butter" nice description! Hahahahahaha.
I could see why you would think of me watching that video and of course I love it. And you.

john said...

I just downloaded this cd Cait! i will give you a full musical review later in the week.

Today, I am a fox.

Jillian said...

I was paddling the Upper yesterday and I had "Jackdaw" stuck in my head, so I sang it loudly through all the rapids. Good, good stuff!

Today I am a jackdaw! :)