Tuesday, November 3, 2009

To Skate or Not to Skate?

Hello all. I think I need some help with a decision to be made. I went to Fresh Meat last night, which is the 'try outs' for the Lilac City Roller Girls (roller derby). I put 'try outs' in quotations because it really wasn't competitive or stressful at all. In fact, I applaud them for creating such a well-oiled workshop. After a brief intro, we split up into stations to work on our skating skills. (May I add that my primary problem is: BEND YOUR KNEES MORE.) Anyhow, needless to say the experience rocked. But I am left to wonder if this is really something I should join. Please read the following pros and cons, and reply with your comments and suggestions.

Cons:
EXPENSIVE! - Pads/helmet alone cost about $100. Cheap skates (which they advise against) are $120. Nice skates are $300. Monthly dues are $25. Not to mention gas to get up to the northside 2-3 times per week. (And keep in mind that I'm also 'saving' for a new mattress, pay off my car, Christmas, and a trip to Portugal.)
Time consuming - There are 3 practices per week (usually late at night), but you only have to show up to 1 in order to stay on the team. However, a lot more 'extra curricular' things, like fund-raisers and committees, are also in the mix.

Pros:
I would be BADASS!
Although I am still getting the hang of it, there was a moment where I felt that exhilarating rush like when I'm skiing crazy fast and in absolute control of the chaos. I like that feeling.
It is a GREAT way to exercise! I was a sweaty mess by the end of the practice.
Uh... I'd be badass.

So there you have it. What do you guys think?

Today I am a cheetah.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I say go for it! Still sounds cheaper than MY extracurricular hobby :). Plus, you can always quit if it becomes too expensive or tiring.

KOC said...

I'm leaning towards go for it... as long as you really enjoy doing it, it wont matter that its time consuming because you'll have fun while you're doing it. And that doesn't sound THAT expensive, as Jill said, there's lots more expensive hobbies out there. And you'll make new friends and connections!

Unknown said...

I think that you should do it as long as it is something you wont regret! Not many people can say they were skatetastic! Love you!

Herbal Amanda said...

Costs less than this brand new computer I have in front of me ;)

Jillian said...

I think what we are all really trying to say is that we need you to join the rollergirls so we can live vicariously through you!