Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pool, Hip Hop and Meditation

Good news and bad news: We won our last pool match last night! But I lost my individual game. I can't complain too much, though, because the woman I played against truly was a better shot than I, and I didn't lose by THAT much. It was our last official game as a team and I'm pretty sad about it. My teammates are a lot of fun. EVEN when they're giving me a hard time and teasing me (which is most of the time). I plan to continue practicing and playing as often as possible, though, because I want to improve. I'm at that place where I can see the shot I need to make, but can barely ever get it right. Rather infuriating if you ask me.

I checked out the Newsweek article Jaima mentioned and thought it was worth sharing with all of you. It doesn't necessarily make my point exactly, but it touches on some interesting factors relating to hip hop, such as 'conscious rap,' which I am a big fan of. Well, in addition to island hip hop, but for totally different reasons. Conscious rap eludes to lyrics that are meant to provoke change, make a point, or reveal truths, and therefore have intricate, intelligent lyrics. Island hip hop, on the other hand, just has that 'feel-good' vibe we all love so much, but adds a fast enough beat to dance to. Like an energetic Bob Marley.

I'm reading a book called "Eat, Pray, Love," and think it's rather wonderful so far (a big thanks to Aja and Amy who gave it to me for Christmas!). It documents the author's year-long journey visiting 3 locations for 3 specific reasons. She lived in Italy for 4 months to learn about pleasure, i.e. eating amazing food and having the freedom to ask herself what she wanted to do every morning. Then she moved to India for 4 months to "find God." That is where I am right now. She'll then live in Indonesia for 4 months to learn about love, or so she seems to elude. She's currently at an Ashram learning how to meditate to become closer to God. Although this might sound like a very Hindu thing to do, she isn't Hindu. Nor are many of her fellow students. Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists alike gather there to learn how to meditate so they can find a way to be still before their respective gods without actually asking for something. They're learning how to be in their gods' presence and listen. I realize many of my readers might think this is all the road to the Devil, while still others might think that there's no point in trying to listen because no gods are out there. In any case, I personally find the concept interesting. I am always talking when I pray, never listening. Learning to sit quietly every day to be open to His presence sounds rather nice. What are your thoughts?

No comments: